Windows XP Community - XPHeads



Driver Scanner

What is WINSXS for?

microsoft.public.windowsxp.general




Recommended Fix - Fix Vista Errors and Optimize Performance


Driver Scanner 2009 - Free Scan Now
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-28-2010, 07:25 PM
mm
 
Posts: n/a
What is WINSXS for?
I found a WINSXS folder in my winxp home Windows folder. It has lots
of subfolders though they are not very big.

Everything I've found so far ties winsxs to Vista, but this isn't
Vista.

The latest folder has 3 .dll's is from 3 days ago, and before that
there are about 30 from 5 scattered dates in 2009. They all have
various numbers of .dll's in them.

What is this for?

Should I/can I delete all this stuff?

If I delete too much of it, will the system recreate the essential
parts? :-)

Can I at least delete it from the clone I want to make for the new
computer?


Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-28-2010, 07:35 PM
mm
 
Posts: n/a
Re: What is WINSXS for?
I found some more links that explain it, so still interested but I
guess I can't delete it.



On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 15:25:05 -0400, mm <NOPSAMmm2005@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>I found a WINSXS folder in my winxp home Windows folder. It has lots
>of subfolders though they are not very big.
>
>Everything I've found so far ties winsxs to Vista, but this isn't
>Vista.
>
>The latest folder has 3 .dll's is from 3 days ago, and before that
>there are about 30 from 5 scattered dates in 2009. They all have
>various numbers of .dll's in them.
>
>What is this for?
>
>Should I/can I delete all this stuff?
>
>If I delete too much of it, will the system recreate the essential
>parts? :-)
>
>Can I at least delete it from the clone I want to make for the new
>computer?
>
>


Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-28-2010, 09:55 PM
Daave
 
Posts: n/a
Re: What is WINSXS for?
mm wrote:
> I found a WINSXS folder in my winxp home Windows folder. It has lots
> of subfolders though they are not very big.
>
> Everything I've found so far ties winsxs to Vista, but this isn't
> Vista.
>
> The latest folder has 3 .dll's is from 3 days ago, and before that
> there are about 30 from 5 scattered dates in 2009. They all have
> various numbers of .dll's in them.
>
> What is this for?
>
> Should I/can I delete all this stuff?
>
> If I delete too much of it, will the system recreate the essential
> parts? :-)
>
> Can I at least delete it from the clone I want to make for the new
> computer?


See:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

I don't think you should delete this!


Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-29-2010, 01:08 AM
mm
 
Posts: n/a
Re: What is WINSXS for?
On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 17:55:48 -0400, "Daave" <daave@example.com> wrote:

>mm wrote:
>> I found a WINSXS folder in my winxp home Windows folder. It has lots
>> of subfolders though they are not very big.
>>
>> Everything I've found so far ties winsxs to Vista, but this isn't
>> Vista.
>>
>> The latest folder has 3 .dll's is from 3 days ago, and before that
>> there are about 30 from 5 scattered dates in 2009. They all have
>> various numbers of .dll's in them.
>>
>> What is this for?
>>
>> Should I/can I delete all this stuff?
>>
>> If I delete too much of it, will the system recreate the essential
>> parts? :-)
>>
>> Can I at least delete it from the clone I want to make for the new
>> computer?

>
>See:
>
>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...=&oq=&gs_rfai=
>
>I don't think you should delete this!


Okay. I am chastened.

Thanks.
>


Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-29-2010, 01:56 AM
Tester
 
Posts: n/a
Re: What is WINSXS for?
Let me give you one trick you should always try:

1) If you want to delete any folders from your system, then the best
thing to do isto follow a two way process:
a) First always rename those folders to something else: e.g. WINSXS
BECOMES WINSXS_OLD;

b) Keep those folders renamed for about a week to see if you experience
any problems with the system

c) After about one week, if you saw no adverse effect to the system then
you know that those folders are completely useless and can safely be
deleted.

As far as I know, WINSXS plays no part in modern computers and operating
systems unless you have computers of pentium 4 or before. I don't have
these folders on my system.

Hope this helps.


On 28/08/2010 20:25, mm wrote:
> I found a WINSXS folder in my winxp home Windows folder. It has lots
> of subfolders though they are not very big.
>
> Everything I've found so far ties winsxs to Vista, but this isn't
> Vista.
>
> The latest folder has 3 .dll's is from 3 days ago, and before that
> there are about 30 from 5 scattered dates in 2009. They all have
> various numbers of .dll's in them.
>
> What is this for?
>
> Should I/can I delete all this stuff?
>
> If I delete too much of it, will the system recreate the essential
> parts? :-)
>
> Can I at least delete it from the clone I want to make for the new
> computer?
>
>

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-31-2010, 04:23 AM
mm
 
Posts: n/a
Re: What is WINSXS for?
On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 02:56:11 +0100, Tester <testing@msnews.com> wrote:

>Let me give you one trick you should always try:
>
>1) If you want to delete any folders from your system, then the best
>thing to do isto follow a two way process:
>a) First always rename those folders to something else: e.g. WINSXS
>BECOMES WINSXS_OLD;
>
>b) Keep those folders renamed for about a week to see if you experience
>any problems with the system
>
>c) After about one week, if you saw no adverse effect to the system then
>you know that those folders are completely useless and can safely be
>deleted.
>
>As far as I know, WINSXS plays no part in modern computers and operating
>systems unless you have computers of pentium 4 or before. I don't have
>these folders on my system.
>
>Hope this helps.


Yes, good ideas. Thanks.
>
>
>On 28/08/2010 20:25, mm wrote:
>> I found a WINSXS folder in my winxp home Windows folder. It has lots
>> of subfolders though they are not very big.
>>
>> Everything I've found so far ties winsxs to Vista, but this isn't
>> Vista.
>>
>> The latest folder has 3 .dll's is from 3 days ago, and before that
>> there are about 30 from 5 scattered dates in 2009. They all have
>> various numbers of .dll's in them.
>>
>> What is this for?
>>
>> Should I/can I delete all this stuff?
>>
>> If I delete too much of it, will the system recreate the essential
>> parts? :-)
>>
>> Can I at least delete it from the clone I want to make for the new
>> computer?
>>
>>


Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:14 AM.




Recommended Download



Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.1.0

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74