Windows XP Community - XPHeads



Driver Scanner

Search Function Not Working In XP

microsoft.public.windowsxp.general




Recommended Fix - Fix Vista Errors and Optimize Performance


Driver Scanner 2009 - Free Scan Now
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2007, 03:02 AM
Deano
 
Posts: n/a
Search Function Not Working In XP
My search function in XP SP3 does not work. It seems to be
searching, but never finishes any searches. I tried running SFC with
the SCANNOW parameter, but it requested that I insert the SP2 install
disk. Even with the full SP2 install disk in place, it will not let me
access the missing files. I think this may be due to my having the SP3
update installed. Other than trying to get a full SP3 install disk, how
can I regain the use of the search function? Thanks. ;-Deano
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2007, 03:39 AM
Andrew E.
 
Posts: n/a
RE: Search Function Not Working In XP
In cmd type:Sfc /REVERT

"Deano" wrote:

> My search function in XP SP3 does not work. It seems to be
> searching, but never finishes any searches. I tried running SFC with
> the SCANNOW parameter, but it requested that I insert the SP2 install
> disk. Even with the full SP2 install disk in place, it will not let me
> access the missing files. I think this may be due to my having the SP3
> update installed. Other than trying to get a full SP3 install disk, how
> can I regain the use of the search function? Thanks. ;-Deano
>

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2007, 05:55 AM
Deano
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Search Function Not Working In XP
Andrew E. wrote:
> In cmd type:Sfc /REVERT
>
> "Deano" wrote:
>
>> My search function in XP SP3 does not work. It seems to be
>> searching, but never finishes any searches. I tried running SFC with
>> the SCANNOW parameter, but it requested that I insert the SP2 install
>> disk. Even with the full SP2 install disk in place, it will not let me
>> access the missing files. I think this may be due to my having the SP3
>> update installed. Other than trying to get a full SP3 install disk, how
>> can I regain the use of the search function? Thanks. ;-Deano
>>


I think I missed the point as to how this will help in my instance.
From what I have found on a Google search, this command line will
"revert" the SFC system files to original parameters through some kind
of automated backup. But will this allow me to fix the original problem
of the search function not working, or only allow the SFC to work. Or,
is the error I am getting related only to the SFC? Let me know what I
am missing. Thanks. ;-Deano
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-16-2007, 06:18 AM
Elmo
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Search Function Not Working In XP
Deano wrote:
> My search function in XP SP3 does not work. It seems to be searching,
> but never finishes any searches. I tried running SFC with the SCANNOW
> parameter, but it requested that I insert the SP2 install disk. Even
> with the full SP2 install disk in place, it will not let me access the
> missing files. I think this may be due to my having the SP3 update
> installed. Other than trying to get a full SP3 install disk, how can I
> regain the use of the search function? Thanks. ;-Deano


Go to http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm

and scroll down to "Search - Doesn't Work" for many helpful tips.

--
Joe =o)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-19-2007, 10:09 PM
Frank
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Search Function Not Working In XP
"Deano" <dtwo@cogeco.ca> wrote in message news:yy09j.30020$9F1.15367@read1.cgocable.net...
> My search function in XP SP3 does not work. It seems to be
> searching, but never finishes any searches. I tried running SFC with
> the SCANNOW parameter, but it requested that I insert the SP2 install
> disk. Even with the full SP2 install disk in place, it will not let me
> access the missing files. I think this may be due to my having the SP3
> update installed. Other than trying to get a full SP3 install disk, how
> can I regain the use of the search function? Thanks. ;-Deano



SFC /scannow is asking for the [XP updated to SP2] install disk.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2007, 01:40 AM
Elmo
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Search Function Not Working In XP
Frank wrote:
> "Deano" <dtwo@cogeco.ca> wrote in message news:yy09j.30020$9F1.15367@read1.cgocable.net...
>> My search function in XP SP3 does not work. It seems to be
>> searching, but never finishes any searches. I tried running SFC with
>> the SCANNOW parameter, but it requested that I insert the SP2 install
>> disk. Even with the full SP2 install disk in place, it will not let me
>> access the missing files. I think this may be due to my having the SP3
>> update installed. Other than trying to get a full SP3 install disk, how
>> can I regain the use of the search function? Thanks. ;-Deano

>
>
> SFC /scannow is asking for the [XP updated to SP2] install disk.


Can you redirect the prompt to the C:\Windows\i386 folder? I think that
if you click OK, it might let you browse to that folder.

Windows XP Search Problems
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_search_probs.htm
[Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]

--
Joe =o)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:04 AM.




Recommended Download



Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.1.0

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74