Windows XP Community - XPHeads



Driver Scanner

Cant get into Setup or Boot Menu

microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support




Recommended Fix - Fix Vista Errors and Optimize Performance


Driver Scanner 2009 - Free Scan Now
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-21-2009, 06:40 PM
rhonquit
 
Posts: n/a
Cant get into Setup or Boot Menu

Hello,

I am trying to do a clean reinstall of my sister's computer and for
some weird reason, I cannot get into the Setup nor Boot Menu. When I
restart the PC and press either F2 or F12, prior to the Windows screen,
it does nothing. I tried for several hours last night.

What could be wrong? Is there another way for me to get into the Boot
Menu from the command line so that I can change the boot order to boot
from CD?

Thanks!


--
rhonquit
------------------------------------------------------------------------
rhonquit's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/116960.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-x...rt/1217921.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Singapore Computer Service
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Cant get into Setup or Boot Menu
Hello,

What brand is your system? If no brand, what motherboard does it use?

Try the Del and F8 keys as well to get to the BIOS setup.

Regards,
Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
http://www.bootstrike.com/ComputerService/
Video Conversion VHS Video8 Hi8 Digital8 MiniDv MicroMv
http://www.bootstrike.com/VHSVideoConvert/
"rhonquit" <rhonquit.3vourb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
news:rhonquit.3vourb@DoNotSpam.com...
>
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to do a clean reinstall of my sister's computer and for
> some weird reason, I cannot get into the Setup nor Boot Menu. When I
> restart the PC and press either F2 or F12, prior to the Windows screen,
> it does nothing. I tried for several hours last night.
>
> What could be wrong? Is there another way for me to get into the Boot
> Menu from the command line so that I can change the boot order to boot
> from CD?
>
> Thanks!
>
>
> --
> rhonquit
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> rhonquit's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/116960.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-x...rt/1217921.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in
>



Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Bod
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Cant get into Setup or Boot Menu
Singapore Computer Service wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What brand is your system? If no brand, what motherboard does it use?
>
> Try the Del and F8 keys as well to get to the BIOS setup.
>
> Regards,
> Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
> http://www.bootstrike.com/ComputerService/
> Video Conversion VHS Video8 Hi8 Digital8 MiniDv MicroMv
> http://www.bootstrike.com/VHSVideoConvert/
> "rhonquit" <rhonquit.3vourb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
> news:rhonquit.3vourb@DoNotSpam.com...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to do a clean reinstall of my sister's computer and for
>> some weird reason, I cannot get into the Setup nor Boot Menu. When I
>> restart the PC and press either F2 or F12, prior to the Windows screen,
>> it does nothing. I tried for several hours last night.
>>
>> What could be wrong? Is there another way for me to get into the Boot
>> Menu from the command line so that I can change the boot order to boot
>> from CD?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>>
>> --
>> rhonquit
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> rhonquit's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/116960.htm
>> View this thread:
>> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-x...rt/1217921.htm
>>
>> http://forums.techarena.in
>>

>
>

Unlikely to be F8 because that will put you into safe mode.I agree with
trying 'Del'. F10 is also a common key to get into the bios as well.

Bod
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Leonard Grey
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Cant get into Setup or Boot Menu
A "clean" install means that you erase the hard drive and re-install all
the software from scratch:

If you have a Windows installation CD:

"Clean Install Windows XP"
http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

If you are using the computer manufacturer's recovery CDs or recovery
partition, and no instructions on using them came with the computer,
contact the computer manufacturer for assistance. Exact instructions
vary with the particular make and model of computer.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

rhonquit wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to do a clean reinstall of my sister's computer and for
> some weird reason, I cannot get into the Setup nor Boot Menu. When I
> restart the PC and press either F2 or F12, prior to the Windows screen,
> it does nothing. I tried for several hours last night.
>
> What could be wrong? Is there another way for me to get into the Boot
> Menu from the command line so that I can change the boot order to boot
> from CD?
>
> Thanks!
>
>

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-22-2009, 03:27 AM
rhonquit
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Cant get into Setup or Boot Menu

Thank you for your replies.

Actually, I've tried all the "F" keys and none of them seem to bring me
into any BIOS windows. I dont get it! I can't even delete the partition
to do a fresh install.

This is driving me insane!


--
rhonquit
------------------------------------------------------------------------
rhonquit's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/116960.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-x...rt/1217923.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-22-2009, 04:54 AM
Bennett Marco
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Cant get into Setup or Boot Menu
rhonquit <rhonquit.3vpjrc@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

>Thank you for your replies.
>
>Actually, I've tried all the "F" keys and none of them seem to bring me
>into any BIOS windows. I dont get it!


<sigh>

Have you tried the DEL key yet???
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-22-2009, 05:25 AM
rhonquit
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Cant get into Setup or Boot Menu

Bennett Marco;4525472 Wrote:
> rhonquit <rhonquit.3vpjrc@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:
>
> >Thank you for your replies.
> >
> >Actually, I've tried all the "F" keys and none of them seem to bring

> me
> >into any BIOS windows. I dont get it!

>
> <sigh>
>
> Have you tried the DEL key yet???


Yes, I've tried ALL the keys.


--
rhonquit
------------------------------------------------------------------------
rhonquit's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/116960.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-x...rt/1217923.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-22-2009, 07:32 AM
Bod
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Cant get into Setup or Boot Menu
rhonquit wrote:
> Thank you for your replies.
>
> Actually, I've tried all the "F" keys and none of them seem to bring me
> into any BIOS windows. I dont get it! I can't even delete the partition
> to do a fresh install.
>
> This is driving me insane!
>
>

There's a jumper on the Motherboard that will reset and clear the
Bios.If you can't find it,take the battery out for a minute and replace.
This normally does the same thing as the jumper.

Doing this should let you back into the Bios.

Be warned though! the bios settings will have to be adjusted to the
original settings. If you have the manual for the M/board,that will tell
you,if not you could download it from the M/board manufacturers site.

Bod
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-22-2009, 08:03 AM
Bennett Marco
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Cant get into Setup or Boot Menu
rhonquit <rhonquit.3vppbb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

>
>Bennett Marco;4525472 Wrote:
>> rhonquit <rhonquit.3vpjrc@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Thank you for your replies.
>> >
>> >Actually, I've tried all the "F" keys and none of them seem to bring

>> me
>> >into any BIOS windows. I dont get it!

>>
>> <sigh>
>>
>> Have you tried the DEL key yet???

>
>Yes, I've tried ALL the keys.


Then you're doing something freaking wrong.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-22-2009, 08:15 AM
Bod
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Cant get into Setup or Boot Menu
Bennett Marco wrote:
> rhonquit <rhonquit.3vppbb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:
>
>> Bennett Marco;4525472 Wrote:
>>> rhonquit <rhonquit.3vpjrc@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Thank you for your replies.
>>>>
>>>> Actually, I've tried all the "F" keys and none of them seem to bring
>>> me
>>>> into any BIOS windows. I dont get it!
>>> <sigh>
>>>
>>> Have you tried the DEL key yet???

>> Yes, I've tried ALL the keys.

>
> Then you're doing something freaking wrong.


Not necessarily!! I've had that situation before.The answer(as I
previously posted),is to either temporarily remove and replace the
battery from the Motherboard,or use the jumper on the Motherboard.
This will then enable access to the Bios when restarted (pressing the
appropriate keys of course).
The downside,is that the Bios has to be re-configured again.

Bod
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:35 AM.




Recommended Download



Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.1.0

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74